The Facilities Assistant reports to the Facilities Manager and is responsible for providing support to ensure facilities services are provided in an effective and efficient manner, as well as being the initial point of contact for the Facilities department. You must also demonstrate a high level of security awareness at all times and have knowledge of emergency evacuation procedures and Health & Safety.
[It is also a good idea to give some brief background information information about your organisation e.g. company size, how long you’ve been in operation, information about specific buildings/premises etc]
[Obviously these responsibilities will vary depending on your organisation and requirements, however we have listed a wide range of potential Facilities Assistant key responsibilities below as a starting point.]
– Ensure the delivery of Facilities Management services to a high standard. Identifying opportunities that will continuously improve all aspects of FM operations
– To be responsible for all external contractors in the building on a daily basis, Cleaning, Maintenance, Catering, Plant Maintenance and Pest Control ensuring all SLA’s and KPI’s are maintained.
– Carry out building & meeting room checks on a daily basis, ensuring any issues are dealt with in a prompt and efficient manner.
– Update the Staff Floor Plans on a monthly basis and distribute to staff as required.
– The ordering and upkeep of the stationery that is used by the entire building. Includes placing weekly order also first point of call for all printer enquires and ordering the consumables.
– Assisting the Facilities department with office moves and other general adhoc projects.
– Ordering new furniture as and when required.
– Organisation of meetings: venue and welfare arrangements.
– Organise and maintain records for invoices, expenses and financial records.
– Act as point of contact for company departments and contractors ensuring lines of communication are maintained and regularly monitored – such as email, mail, telephone and helpdesk.
– Ensure attending contractors onsite have authority to work and have provided the correct health and safety documentation to commence work. Record contractor activities onsite.
– Support and assist the Facilities Manager and the team with administration requirements.
– Liaise with service providers and contractors to ensure regular activities are undertaken e.g. recycling, courier services.
– Manage contractors, contracts and suppliers as directed to ensure service delivery.
– General health and safety duties including risk assessments, contractor monitoring and other statutory and not statutory site requirements.
– Attend training and course as directed by the Facilities Manager.
– To proactively work towards promoting a sense of pride in the facility department.
– Assist with maintaining the property to an acceptable condition utilising the approved external M&E, cleaning, grounds & waste services and security contractors respectively ensuring that the site is fully operational at all times.
– Assist with the local management of Environmental matters to ensure targets are met such as recycling targets and any issues are resolved. Record all recycling data and file transfer notes appropriately.
– Prepare for Health & Safety and Environmental audits.
– Carry out the building fire drills and ensure a maintained fire marshal system, organize Fire safety training with staff in line with legislation, organize First Aid training with staff in line with legislation.
– To ensure that Procedures are adhered to in relation to all purchase requisitions and invoices within Facilities.
– Ensure signage on site appropriate and current at all times.
– Demonstrate permanent high level of security awareness, knowledge of emergency evacuation procedures as well as general Health & Safety
– Cover Reception as and when required
– Help with Event setups.
– To answer all department emails in a timely manner and ensuring the inbox is managed correctly
Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications
– GCSE/GCE qualifications in Maths and English
– IOSH or other Health and Safety qualification desirable
– Experience working within a Facilities environment
– Good IT skills including Microsoft Office (especially Excel & Power Point)
– Good understanding of M&E
– Strong track record of managing external relationships
– Demonstrable understanding of purchasing, invoicing & procurement processes
Skills and personal attributes
– Excellent written and spoken communication abilities
– A smart and professional appearance with a polite, courteous and professional manner
– Excellent interpersonal skills
– The ability to work under pressure.
– The drive to work pro-actively independently and as part of a team
– Communication style that allows positive and open dialogue with clients and employees
– Working style that encourages team-work both within the role and across business functions
– Collaborative working spirit that enhances and builds effective working relationships both internally and externally.
– The ability to multi-task effectively and prioritise workload
– Well organised with excellent attention to detail/accuracy/prioritisation
– A good understanding of the distribution business would be an advantage
– A ‘can do’ attitude using own initiative, innovative and self-motivated
– Accurate, diligent, self-motivated, focussed and reliable.
– The ability to work un-supervised
– An appreciation of clear and exact communication of detail
– An ability to anticipate expectations and resolve issues