In this role you will lead the strategic management of all Facilities Management functions to maintain optimum accommodation, environmental and support service standards within our FM guidelines and budgetary constraints. You will lead the facilities management and the provision of services (delivered by third-parties where appropriate) and the business itself.
The Head of Facilities is responsible for the effective delivery of facilities services for all building users including staff, visitors, clients, audience and tenants. The post-holder is responsible for ensuring that the physical environment is fit for purpose in terms of premises, facilities, health & safety, and office accommodation in order to deliver successful staff performance and excellent customer service in addition to ensuring that the business has the appropriate level of FM services and support for their operational requirements.
We are looking to hire someone with the attitude to change, build and grow the department and organisation. You will be a strategic and innovative thinker, a first class communicator with excellent team leadership qualities. You will be a self-starter, able to work effectively alone whom can inspire confidence whilst presenting a certain gravitas. You will need a calm demeanour with the ability to remain un-flustered and maintain a cool head in challenging situations.
[It is also a good idea to give some brief background information information about your organisation e.g. company size, how long you’ve been in operation, information about specific buildings/premises etc]
[Obviously these responsibilities will vary depending on your organisation and requirements, however we have listed a wide range of potential Head of Facilities key responsibilities below as a starting point.]
General Facilities Management
– Ensure the delivery of Facilities Management services to a high standard. Identifying opportunities that will continuously improve all aspects of FM operations
– Focus on quality of service delivery, ensuring best practice
– Overall responsibility for all soft services incl. Reception services, Postroom, Catering/Vending, Cleaning, Security, meeting rooms, events management etc.
– Lead the Energy Management and Environmental/Sustainability focus for FM
– Support the development of FM contracts and contractor management
– Contribute to FM Procurement strategy and benchmarking projects
– Responsibility for the delivery of FM Helpdesk services and systems
– Support and lead the management of all Hard Services Incl. Asset Management across M&E plant, Buildings & Equipment and PPM scheduling
– Ensure records are created and maintained for building (site log books) to demonstrate full operational procedures are followed
– Property Management, working with Facilities Director, Building Services Manager, Finance, Legal, Divisional/Brand Heads on service charges, rates and lease requirements
– Manage office space utilisation and continuously develop “ways of working”
– Lead and develop the management of on/off site storage requirements
– Management and reporting of Facilities budgets supported by Finance business partner
Operational and Financial Responsibilities
– Work across the business to support all aspects of operational service delivery.
– Organise and chair weekly operations meetings and ensure all objectives and requirements are clearly communicated across the team
– To advise senior leadership team in the allocation of space and office accommodation within the building.
– Develop, review and keep the Business Continuity Plan and arrangements up to date, fit for purpose and regularly tested.
– Devise, manage, deliver the annual Facilities budget.
– Assess and forecast financial performance, including comparison of actuals to budget, consider outlook and manage activity to deliver agreed financial outcomes.
– You will be required to motivate, develop and lead a brilliant team and build great relationships with external suppliers (including catering, cleaning, M&E, storage, utilities, real estate, car fleet etc.) making sure contracts are well managed and issues are escalated and resolved as appropriate. You’ll also have a great network in the facilities industry.
– Planning and scheduling the team onto projects, delegating and bringing insight into ways to prioritise and smooth demand so that you make the best use of the skills your team have.
– Must be able to build trust and confidence through open communications and informing colleagues about issues that will affect their role.
– Maintain the safety management system for contractors, including induction processes, permits to work, CDM Site Safety Plans etc.
– Assist with the Quality Management process for appointing and managing suppliers and contractors
Knowledge and Qualifications
– Hold a Bachelors or Masters degree in Facilities Management or related field.
– Extensive senior Facilities Management experience gained in comparable environments.
– A professional qualification in real estate and/or facilities management (IWFM Level 4+) or equivalent.
– A qualification in health & safety (NEBOSH, IOSH) would be advantageous
– Demonstrate a full understanding of statutory legislation as it relates to the built environment.
– Demonstrable knowledge of the full spectrum of facilities management functions, including contract management, tendering, business development, continuity planning, and hospitality services
– Demonstrable up-to-date knowledge of current licensing, H&S and disability/access legislation, and the ability to apply these pragmatically through appropriate policies and procedures
Skills, experience and personal attributes
– Experience of negotiating and procuring facilities management service contracts based upon best practice principles, with an understanding and working knowledge of performance measurement techniques within the current facilities management market.
– You will have experience of diligently managing customer relationships within organisations and with managing and recommending improvements to SLA’s with customers and facilities service providers.
– You will have experience of the management of facilities management and capital revenue budgets.
– Demonstrate the ability to delegate where necessary and appropriate but equally ‘roll-up sleeves’ to accomplish key requirements as well.
– Solid experience in FM within a professional environment, with at least 3 years at a Senior Manager level experience within a corporate setting
– The ability to communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues, contractors and key stakeholders.
– Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to work collaboratively. Able to find pragmatic solutions and adapt to changing situations.
– Leadership skills with proven experience of leading, supporting and mentoring teams.
– Able to present information, verbally and in writing, in a clear, persuasive and concise manner to a wide range of stakeholders.