To manage and support the direction of all operational activities on designated buildings, for facilities management, health and safety, and security. Working closely with the senior team, you will ensure a positive image of the buildings/estates and promote the organisation, providing excellence in development and property management.
[It is also a good idea to give some brief background information about your organisation e.g. company size, how long you’ve been in operation, information about specific buildings/premises etc]
[Obviously these responsibilities will vary depending on your organisation and requirements, however we have listed a wide range of potential Operations Manager key responsibilities below as a starting point.]
– Responsible for all staff management activities (including recruitment & selection and performance management through a system of appraisals) relating to the team, in accordance with policies and procedures.
– Set and maintain clear standards and performance criteria across the team, in line with overall business objectives (i.e. accurate records are kept by line reports, to include timesheets and sign in sheets, staff reviews and any relating HR requests.
– Develop, coach and mentor staff through a system of regular scheduled team and individual review meetings, as well as accompanied site visits and if required, to attend evening meetings. Provide positive and targeted written feedback following all such accompanied visits.
– Ensure that the Regional Facilities Manager is kept fully up to date with all items and issues relating to the region through scheduled meetings or as and when the need arises.
– Provide recognition, encouragement and guidance to team members. Provide constructive and meaningful feedback that supports improved performance.
– Overview helpdesk and operational performance holding regular meetings with the Helpdesk Manager.
– Ensuring the service levels are being met and the jobs are holding all relevant information and documentation.
– To carry out investigations and/or disciplinary hearings where required in line with the relevant policy
– Ensure appropriate resources are available to support both existing and new business alike, giving particular care and due diligence to resourcing for seasonal and/or one-off activities.
– Identify additional opportunities to expand the activities of the division with due regard for an acceptable internal rate of return.
– Ensure that suitable and enough equipment is provided to carry out site operations set out in the schedule/ specification
– Ensure work schedules are in place for new and existing schemes and are adhered to by all staff.
– To organise holiday and sickness cover for site staff.
– Monitor staff absence and report occurrences to Employee Services. To conduct back to work interviews.
– Ensure site paperwork and Company procedures are implemented in line with the Company’s KPI and audited as directed by the customer.
– Manage the expenditure for the contract ensuring the budgeted costs are not exceeded
– Track all variable expenditure and ensure invoicing is carried out on time and correctly
– Ensure the RFM is immediately made aware of any breaches of Health and Safety and any action is proposed
– Instruct staff in work policies and procedures.
– Ensure statutory policies, for example COSHH, Risk Assessments and PPE are set out within company procedures and that all staff follow and embrace guidance as appropriate.
– To carry out regular inspections of site health & Safety files.
– Ensure that all training is documented.
– Identify when a risk assessment is required and produce the risk assessment, ensuring the relevant staff are trained on the risk assessment and control measures are implemented.
– Ensure the risk assessments are reviewed in line with Company policy
– Ensure all accidents, incidents and near misses are reported and investigated in line with Company policy
Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications
– Minimum 5 years in Facilities Management at a management level.
– Relevant qualifications in mechanical and electrical or other Facilities management discipline
– Demonstrable experience of Health & Safety management (IOSH or NEBOSH desirable).
– Competent knowledge of IT packages (Knowledge of Concept Evolution is desirable
– Demonstrable organisational, presentation, communication and interpersonal skills
– Demonstrable customer service skills
– Substantial people management skills
– Understanding of current HR law, practices and principles desirable
– Experience at managing within budgets and to targets
– Experience of driving/improving gross margin
– Experience at operating a 7 day per week schedule in time pressured environments
Skills and personal attributes
– Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
– Good organisation and prioritisation skills
– Ability to work flexibly and on own initiative
– Ability to manage priorities and meet demanding customer expectations
– Innovative problem solver
– Strong attention to detail
– Working knowledge of health and safety legislation as applied to managed commercial property
– Experience of financial management for service charges and budgeting on multi-let properties
– Proven ability to manage FM contractors and in-house staff
– Sound technical knowledge of buildings and their plant & systems
– Good knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook
– Excellent client interfacing skills