The Head of Estates will play a critical leadership role in delivering operational excellence across the technical and facilities departments across the organisation. The Head of Estates will also provide effective supervision of the overall look and feel of the premises to the highest visual standards. You will be responsible for providing a safe, compliant, efficient and cost-effective working environment for all stakeholders; this is a highly visible delivery role which requires an individual who can effectively manage their team in a dynamic and fast paced environment to deliver an excellent customer experience.
[It is also a good idea to give some brief background information about your organisation e.g. company size, how long you’ve been in operation, information about specific buildings/premises etc]
[Obviously these responsibilities will vary depending on your organisation and requirements, however we have listed a wide range of potential Head of Estates key responsibilities below as a starting point.]
– Oversee the development and delivery of plans for maintenance and development of the estate, from routine PPM to major renewal projects
– Develop and implement the strategy and programme for capital expenditure on the estate, including coordination of logistical requirements ; oversee project delivery within schedule and budget; working with internal and external project managers, professional teams and stakeholders.
– Accountable for the management of estates-related third-party suppliers, including our engineering and building services contractors.
– Ensure tender processes adhere to procurement procedures, with clarity of brief and accountabilities to ensure that the best value contracts are achieved.
– Set up clear SLAs with all suppliers to ensure optimum levels of service are achieved in support of the strategic and organisational goals.
– Proactively manage and regularly review performance of all third-party suppliers in conjunction with the procurement function.
– Oversee in-house teams (AV, cleaners/porters, security, helpdesk) to deliver an effective and efficient service that seamlessly supports the offer, in partnership with our front-of-house teams.
– Act as ambassador to ensure effective working relationships with key stakeholders on building and maintenance projects.
– Ensure the application of industry-wide best practice, for example in project management and sustainability.
– Chair weekly Estates meetings, to ensure all areas of the department are joined up and working seamlessly. Troubleshoot and resolve problems as they arise.
– Attend Executive and board/committee meetings when required, to represent the Estates Department and report on departmental activity
– Working with the Director of Finance and procurement team, establish a transparent, auditable system of contracting and tendering in line with associated accounting principles
– Manage Department budget (operational and capital), remaining within budgets and participating in tracking and regular reporting in line with financial processes
– Line-manage, coach and motivate line reports to deliver a proactive, operationally excellent estates service, delivered with expertise and professional pride.
– Ensure all members of team and external contractors comply with health & safety policies, procedures and regulations and take appropriate and reasonable care for the safety of colleagues and visitors.
Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications
– At least 8 years’ experience of estates management, ideally within a comparable industry
– Degree educated or equivalent, ideally with an engineering discipline
– Qualified in or working towards a professional qualification in Facilities Management either MBIFM or AssocRICS and associate IEMA.
– Proven experience of strategically leading a customer facing FM team and have demonstrable experience in creating a culture of service excellence.
– Extensive experience in people management including mentoring, motivating and developing staff
– Track record of managing third-party suppliers and sub-contractors to deliver optimum performance
– Sound understanding of plant and building maintenance
– Experience in delivering large capital building projects
– Previous senior management experience, with some board level engagement
Skills and personal attributes
– Excellent organisational and planning skills, including the effective performance management of external supplier
– Strong presentation, influencing, coaching and communication skills, in both oral and written forms.
– Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence and build productive relationships at all levels, internally and externally. Excellent stakeholder management skills that demonstrate an appropriate balance between diplomacy, customer service and assertiveness.
-Highly effective at prioritisation, able to manage multiple priorities, drive forward strategic projects while effectively prioritising more immediate, reactive work.
– Forward looking, innovative thinker with an ability to identify the opportunities offered by technology to improve Facilities Management and delivery of estates services.
– Effective, evidence based decision making. Able to analyse and evaluate data, identify pros and cons and risks to make decisions that take account of the wider context, including legal frameworks, diversity and sustainability.
– Well-practiced and effective at identifying risks and acting upon early warning signs of emerging issues. Capable of providing a decisive response to delivery risks and issues.
– Manages complexity, identifies the main issues in complex problems, takes steps to clarify understanding and develops suitable solutions.
– Ability to see the big picture and consider the cumulative impact on own business area of implementing change (culture, structure, service and morale).