Buildings Mechanical & Electrical Operations ManagerBack to Vacancies List
Our client, a public sector organisation, are now looking for a Buildings Mechanical & Electrical Operations Manager to manage, maintain and develop the council buildings Fabric, Mechanical and Electrical infrastructure and systems.
This is an interim role requiring an immediate start and expected to last a minimum period of 6 months.
Promote, develop and establish a positive safety culture in relation to Corporate and Commercial Buildings Management, so that the business meets its’ legal requirements in terms of Health, Safety and Compliance risk management:
- Delegated responsibility for ensuring building compliance requirements are consistently met for Asbestos Management; Fire Safety, Legionella; Electrical Safety; LOLER; Gas Safety; PUWER; Lifts and Building Regulations.
- Review and develop practices, procedures and processes which reflect industry best practice, including producing building compliance policies.
- To manage and procure minor building management services projects.
- To periodically carry out audits of work that has been carried or is to be carried out by the client’s building maintenance contractors, scrutinising and assessing quality output, value for money and proposed solutions.
- Competently utilise the CAFM system and BMS systems to interrogate information and provide remote support, produce standard reports and ensure good management of all mechanical & electrical plant.
- To scrutinise and oversea building maintenance work by the client’s contractors and partners, ensuring consistent best value and quality is maintained.
- To carry out regular compliance inspections and audits within defined areas of the estate ensuring that systems are in place to deal with and rectify identified problems and record notable instances. Prepare reports following the audits for the Service Lead – Building Management. Quality audit work that has been carried out by the Council’s building maintenance contractors, following appropriate escalation processes to raise queries and concerns.
- Lead in creating and maintaining a climate in which individuals feel safety has a high value and that they are clear about responsibilities, safety aims and objectives within all council buildings. Manage and ensure that suitable plans, controls, maintenance, testing and inspection regimes are maintained and quality audited.
- Oversee the Asbestos and Legionella Management Plans and ensure the division operates within the Control of relevant Regulations. Liaise closely with the safety office on significant risks that affect the wider company.
- To supervise and monitor contracts for the periodic maintenance and repair of service installations, plant and equipment in the council’s corporate and commercial assets, including lifts, fire detection and alarm systems, ventilation plant, stair lifts, emergency lighting, door entry systems, communal TV equipment, CTTV, pumping equipment, portable appliance testing and maintenance of specialist disabled equipment.
- Advise the Service Lead and the Facilities Contracts & Projects Manager on appropriate arrangements for the effective planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review of the preventative and protective measures necessary to comply with the relevant statutory provisions.
- Provide specialist advice to the Building Management staff, department managers, contractors and visitors within the limits of competence to assist in ensuring compliance with the relevant statutory provisions.
- Drive improvements in property management health & safety related matters wherever shortfalls are found. Work with all stakeholders to ensure that maintenance programmes and remedial works are undertaken in such a manner as to ensure that the client is fulfilling its legal responsibilities.
- To monitor mechanical/electrical works in progress, monitor works on site to ensure the contractor is conforming to specification requirements and compliance with all necessary Health & Safety legislation and the company policies. Give advice to resolve technical building services problems and ensure the most cost effective and quality solution is achieved.
- Work across the clients corporate and commercial assets, providing electrical and mechanical day to day, project and contract management expertise, including the provision and monitoring of stock condition surveys and fitness assessment of premises.
- To ensure accurate and timely asset intelligence information is produced on the completion of projects, including operational manuals, building drawings, warrantee certificates etc., for the inclusion of asset intelligence data onto the database.
- Manage cost and programme on project, maintaining detailed record and generating regular reports to ensure accurate control of the overall programme, including maintaining a commitment account for each project.
- To prepare reports for SMT, Capital Strategy Board or other such council committees.
- To utilise information and communications technology in a way that maximises both personal efficiency and customer service.
- To carry out additional duties and responsibilities commensurate with the role and the nature of the post.
- Significant experience in a complex building environment with a track record of successful project management.
- Significant experience and good understanding of property related statutory compliance requirements/legislation.
- Experience of building services quality inspections, auditing, reporting and excellent records management.
- Experience of managing and monitoring budgets.
- Experience of CAFM, able to interrogate remote support and produce standard reports.
- Experience of working with at least one current BMS system with ability to interrogate remote support and produce standard reports.
- Significant experience and knowledge of compliance requirements including but not limited to Asbestos; Fire Safety, Legionella; Electrical Safety; LOLER; Gas Safety; PUWER; Lifts and Building Regulations
- Knowledge and understanding of compliance requirements relating to owned and leased buildings.
- Good working knowledge of Property based IT & Microsoft Office applications.
- Good understanding of HSE guides and industry best practice.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to think creatively, analyse complex problems and provide innovative solutions through the use of modern building techniques.
- Self motivated, with ability to plan and progress own workload.
- Able to provide technical advice for senior management to base decisions on.
- Able to communicate effectively with a wide range of people, verbally and in writing.
- Skill in writing concise reports dealing with complex technical subjects for the Senior management team and related bodies.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and relationship building.
- Good team working skills in order to get the best from colleagues’ co-operation and ideas.
- Proven administration skills, with significant attention to detail and accuracy.
- Good IT skills with experience of Microsoft Office Suite and the use of complex spreadsheets, capable of becoming competent in the use of bespoke databases.
- Ability to organise your own workload effectively, with the ability to prioritise and progress complex matters in a logical and systematic way.
- Educated to a relevant Mechanical or Electrical professional standard or a building related qualification plus a significant period of directly relevant experience at a suitable level of responsibility.
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent. (Desirable)
- Associate membership of relevant professional body. (Desirable)
- Qualification or training in Legionella Management, Fire Safety and Asbestos Management.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous professional development and evidence of having attended regular CPD relating to the position to underpin current thinking and increasing personal knowledge within the property management discipline.
- Full driving licence.
If you believe you have all the required experience, please contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 118 4848 to discuss in more detail.