Estates MangerBack to Vacancies List
Our client are an established school seeking an experience Estates Manager to join their team.
The Estates Manager will lead the strategic planning and delivery of the Foundation’s major capital projects and Masterplan. The post holder will also be responsible for the management, maintenance, repair and improvement of all Foundation properties and grounds. This role will reporting into the Director of Finance and Operations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To work with the members of the Executive Team and professional advisors on strategic planning matters which relate to the School’s Masterplan.
- Preparation of plans for improvements, extensions or new construction including the selection and appointment of professional consultants and oversight of their performance.
- To appoint architects, consultants and contractors, as appropriate, following the Foundation’s procurement policy and to monitor the work of contractors.
- To obtain necessary advice and permissions in relation to building regulations, listed building consent, planning consents and fire authority approvals.
- To be the Foundation’s nominated contact and liaison officer for overseeing approved capital projects throughout the detailed planning stages, design, procurement, works on site and handover.
- To manage all minor works projects including coordination of all services, fixed furniture and equipment.
- To prepare budget requirements for anticipated projects, improvements and replacement of major plant and equipment.
Repairs and Maintenance
- To be responsible for the repair, maintenance and improvement of all Foundation buildings and facilities.
- To develop and keep updated the planned annual and five year rolling maintenance programme.
- Be responsible for the maintenance of accurate records, plans, drawings and Operation and Maintenance Manuals relating to the Foundation’s buildings, plant and services infrastructure.
- To carry out or commission condition surveys every five years on the School’s buildings in order to provide advice and to inform the planned maintenance and refurbishment programme.
- To develop, monitor and eventually manage the Foundation’s electronic help desk system for reporting repairs and maintenance requests.
- Establish the Foundation’s needs and priorities; instructing work to be carried out and then monitoring the standards achieved, time frame, and keeping staff informed of work in progress.
- To achieve repairs and maintenance works inhouse on the basis of cost effectiveness and efficiency.
- Management of all buildings-related maintenance service contracts.
Grounds, Sports Pitches and Gardens
- To oversee and manage the Grounds Manager.
- Regularly liaise with the Director of Sport and the Grounds Manager to ensure that the provision and quality of sports pitches is satisfactory.
- Lead and manage the development and improvement of the grounds and gardens on the site.
- Lead operations to ensure the safety of the site in the event of snow, ice, high winds or other weather related events.
- Take responsibility for the management of the trees on the School site including obtaining biannual tree condition survey and ensuring recommendations are acted upon.
- Support the Grounds Manager in coordinating the movement of furniture as required by school staff.
- Ensure the Estate Department’s and the Foundation’s obligations with regards to regulatory compliance and best practice are met through testing and certification of services installations and equipment.
- Keep up-to-date with knowledge and awareness of compliance and disseminate the information to relevant departments and staff.
- Maintain necessary records for inspection and insurance purposes.
- Ensure that repairs or maintenance works of a health and safety nature are dealt with as a matter of priority.
- Ensure via the Grounds and Maintenance Teams are operating safely and that risk assessments are updated and adhered to
- Preparation and submission of annual budgets.
- Exercise strict financial controls on departmental expenditure; to include monitoring and reporting against approved budget allowances on a monthly basis.
- To oversee the system for the purchase, control and monitoring of materials.
- Adhere to the Foundation’s financial procedures; including competitive tendering and price comparison processes in order to obtain best value for the Foundation.
Health and Safety
- Act as the Foundation’s Health and Safety Coordinator; supported by an external Health and Safety Consultancy and oversee health and safety matters across the Foundation including ensuring risk assessments and relevant policies are produced and kept up to date.
- Review accidents on the Foundation’s premises supported by relevant staff and where necessary ensure accidents are followed up and acted upon and RIDDOR reports made if required.
- Develop and update the Foundation’s rolling building inspection process and take appropriate actions arising from it.
- Act as the Foundation’s Fire Safety Manager and ensure that the fire policy and fire evacuation procedures are kept up to date.
- Take responsibility for the fire safety systems and the fire response procedures, including leading the fire response team.
- Ensure Fire Risk Assessments and fire plans are kept up to date and renewed as required. Ensure the recommendations of FRAs are acted upon and kept under review.
Utilities and Waste Management
- To arrange the purchase of utilities through tendering and contract negotiation.
- To manage the consumption of energy and water by prudent housekeeping, monitoring meters and maintenance of plant in order to minimise operational costs.
- To consider, develop and implement a whole school Environmental Policy.
- To seek ways of achieving more efficient methods of lighting, heating and use of plant and equipment, with a view to reducing consumption and costs by taking advantage of relevant technologies.
- Removal of waste associated with estates tasks, and ensuring that the necessary procedures are followed.
Management and Communication
- To liaise with all members of the community to facilitate planning and day-to-day running of school operations.
- To keep the Estates Committee, Director of Finance and Operations, and Heads of the four Schools informed of estates related issues as and when is appropriate.
- Communication with Senior Management Team and Senior Leadership Team with regards to progress on projects.
- Close liaison with the Operations Manager with regards to day-to-day site operational matters and the Domestic Bursar with regard to events and functions.
- Attend all meetings of the Estates Committee and any other Committee Meetings as required; including the preparation and presentation of papers updating governors on capital projects and estates matters.
- Attend meetings of the Senior Management Team as required.
- Responsibility for the effective management of the Estates Department, currently comprising of 11 Maintenance Staff, and 12 Grounds Staff.
- To be the Line Manager for the Facilities Manager and Grounds Manager and ensure that the department is efficiently managed and organised.
- Ensure that the Foundation’s obligations with regards to health and safety at work are met through staff training and development.
- To review and monitor working practices of the department to ensure timely delivery of the highest standards of workmanship and customer service.
- A relevant professional qualification in construction, construction management, engineering, estates, facilities or property management.
- Member of relevant professional institution (e.g. RICS, BIFM).
- Health and Safety qualifications (such as NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent desirable).
- Proficient use of IT Microsoft applications.
Experience and Knowledge
- Experience at a senior level of managing a property and estate portfolio.
- Experience in reporting to a leadership team.
- Experience of managing a team from a range of professions or trades.
- Experience in project management and delivering large scale capital works programmes within set time frames.
- Experience of working in an educational setting desirable but not essential.
- Health and safety.
- Knowledge of Regulatory legislation for schools including safeguarding of children.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills.
If this role is of interest, please call 0207 118 48 48 or email email@example.com to discuss further or to apply.