Health, Safety & Wellbeing ManagerBack to Vacancies List
About The University of Cambridge
Founded in 1209, The University of Cambridge has been at the forefront of academic study and research for over eight centuries. The University of Cambridge is the fourth-oldest university in the world. Among their alumni they have 110 Nobel Prize Laureates, 47 Heads of State and 190 Olympic Medallists.
Cambridge is a globally diverse institution and their students come from over 147 different countries.
Mission and Core Values
The University's mission is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning and research at the highest international levels of excellence.
The Estates Division is responsible for the planning, development and operation of the University’s operational and investment Estates. It employs 350 people and is responsible for capital and operational budgets in excess of £200m. The Operational Estate is one of the UK’s largest and comprises some 370 teaching, academic and research buildings with a total footprint of 723,000 square metres and an insurance value in excess of £3.4bn. The Non-Operational Estates comprises more than 1000 investment, support and residential properties and the University Farm.
Background To The Requirement
The Health, Safety & Wellbeing Manager is accountable to the Director of Estates for all matters relating to the health, safety and wellbeing of staff, consultants and third party contractors working within and on behalf of the Estates Division. This includes implementing the Estates Division’s Health, Safety and Wellbeing policy, ensuring effective health and safety compliance, auditing and reporting.
What you’ll be doing
You will be responsible for driving high standards of health, safety and wellbeing performance and statutory compliance within a Division of 350 people with an annual capital and operational spend in excess of £200m.
You will ensure that all directly employed staff and external contractors operate safely with robust risk assessments and safe systems of work in place. You will conduct periodic audits, collate safety data and lead on the investigation of any accidents or incidents.
In addition, you will lead on the implementation of staff welfare and wellbeing initiatives across the Division.
Whilst acting as the Safety Officer the role holder will manage the implementation of an ISO 45001 compliant Occupational Health and Safety Management System and will provide professional health, safety and wellbeing advice and guidance to the Estate Division as required.
The role holder will interface with the Health and Safety Coordinators embedded within the Programme Delivery and Estates Operations teams and with the University’s Safety Office to ensure alignment with the University’s health, safety and wellbeing policies and practice.
- Significant built environment health and safety management experience along with experience of managing health and safety across multiple locations.
- Proven track record in implementing H&S Policy and Process improvement, site audits, H&S Strategy.
- Thorough working knowledge and a proven track record of H&S legislation and best practice.
- Experience of maintaining or reaching externally audited management standards such as ISO 45001.
- Construction and/or facilities management industry knowledge is an advantage but not essential.
- A thorough understanding of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent regulations, and the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Experience in defining strategy and policy in relation to works relating to compliance, and managing its delivery.
- Experience in producing and or assessing necessary documentation to satisfy legal requirements and making managerial decisions based on the information.
- Experience and expertise in the operation and maintenance of buildings
- Aware of CDM Regulations and safe working on site.
- Staff Leadership, Management and Development.
- Excellent communication & stakeholder relationship management skills at all levels.
- Ability to lead and work within a team, plan and manage work activities, communicate and prioritise workloads.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
- Ability to manage complex projects under time challenging conditions.
- Demonstrable analytical and report-writing skills.
- Effective decision making & problem resolution skills.
- Ability to motivate and enthuse others, including at a senior level.
- Ability to present complex ideas to a variety of audiences.
- Highly proficient in MS Office suite.
- Experience in risk management and CAFM systems.
- Qualified to Degree Level or Level 7 Business or Management qualification.
- Relevant qualifications in health and safety such as a Masters, NVQ, BSC or NEBOSH national diploma.
- Either hold or be close to obtaining Chartered Membership of IOSH (CMIOSH).
This post requires first class interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate with all stakeholders both internal and external to The University of Cambridge at all levels. For success in this role you will also need be a strong team player who uses initiative but with a consultative approach. Holding a strong customer focus you will be committed to excellence in service delivery.
This is an exciting time to join one of the world's oldest and most successful universities globally.
The University of Cambridge is committed in its pursuit of academic excellence to equality of opportunity and to a proactive and inclusive approach to equality, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture, and values diversity so If you're looking for a new challenge and would like excellent benefits, extensive learning opportunities and a stimulating working environment in return for your skills and contribution please apply today.
- For a confidential conversation please get in touch with our engaged consultants at Maxwell Stephens; either Peter Forshaw (email@example.com) OR Michael Bleasby (firstname.lastname@example.org) Both Peter and Michael are available on Tel: 0207 118 4848.
- To apply please send both a CV and a couple of paragraphs on why you feel you are suited to this exciting requirement to email@example.com with reference: MSCAMHSM
- All direct and third-party applications will be forwarded to Maxwell Stephens.
- Closing Date: Friday 5th February 2021