Operations Manager, Shared Facilities HubBack to Vacancies List
About The University of Cambridge
Founded in 1209, The University of Cambridge has been at the forefront of academic study and research for over eight centuries. The University of Cambridge is the fourth-oldest university in the world. Among their alumni they have 110 Nobel Prize Laureates, 47 Heads of State and 190 Olympic Medallists.
Cambridge is a globally diverse institution and their students come from over 147 different countries.
Mission and Core Values
The University’s mission is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning and research at the highest international levels of excellence.
Background To The Requirement
The University of Cambridge is embarking on a radical transformation of its West Cambridge site to create Europe’s largest science, technology and engineering campus. The vision of creating a centre of world leading expertise cannot be achieved solely through the co-location of sophisticated research facilities. Centuries of Cambridge’s unique College system have shown the immense value of spaces in which academics, students and collaborators can meet. The University now seeks to achieve the same impact of this collegiate approach, at research campus scale, through the Shared Facilities Hub.
The Shared Facilities Hub will be a vibrant new building on the West Cambridge site, providing three floors of amenities to members of the University and the wider community. The Hub will host several catering and retail outlets, teaching and meeting rooms and a library.
What you’ll be doing
The role holder will have overall responsibility for the Hub, planning the opening in September 2021 and managing and developing these exciting new facilities into a successful venue for teaching, learning, networking and events. The role holder will work with the managers of the different facilities within the Hub and the University departments, residents, visitors and commercial organisations on the West Cambridge site.
The University of Cambridge are looking for someone with experience in a conference or events environment or managing a community facility and a proven track record of driving forward projects with multiple stakeholders. The focus of the role is delivering the vision of the Hub, creating a community environment, developing an events portfolio and ensuring operational efficiency and sustainability.
This post requires an energetic leader able to adopt a collaborative approach to making the Hub a success. The Hub will be a new building and the SFH Manager will embrace the challenge of resolving the teething troubles, building the operational team and developing the procedures, policies and ethos to deliver a facility that attracts users. The Shared Facilities Hub is a step change for the University, and is the first University building of this type.
- Significant management experience in hospitality and/or conferences.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Strong leadership and people management skills.
- Energy, enthusiasm and creativity.
- Demonstrable financial skills including planning and managing a budget, financial control, procurement and contract negotiations.
- Experience in facilities management.
- Experience in an educational or academic environment is desirable
This is an exciting time to join one of the world’s oldest and most successful universities globally.
The University of Cambridge is committed in its pursuit of academic excellence to equality of opportunity and to a proactive and inclusive approach to equality, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture, and values diversity so If you’re looking for a new challenge and would like excellent benefits, extensive learning opportunities and a stimulating working environment in return for your skills and contribution please apply today.
- For a confidential conversation please get in touch with our engaged consultants at Maxwell Stephens; either Peter Forshaw (email@example.com) OR Robyn Powner (firstname.lastname@example.org) Both Peter and Robyn are available on Tel: 0207 118 4848.
- To apply please send both a CV and a couple of paragraphs on why you feel you are suited to this exciting requirement to email@example.com with reference: MSCAMOM
- All direct and third-party applications will be forwarded to Maxwell Stephens.
- Closing Date: Friday 5th February 2021