Building and Facilities ManagerBack to Vacancies List
Bader International Study Centre, located at historic Herstmonceux Castle, East Sussex, are looking to recruit a Building and Facilities Manager to join their team.
The Buildings & Facilities Manager leads in the care and maintenance of our Grade 1 listed, 15th century castle, our student residences, and other buildings on site, including managing building projects, in addition to ensuring the health and safety of all our students, visitors and guests and ensuring a high level of cleaning (housekeeping) services are provided. The buildings & facilities team is central to ensuring that buildings and facilities are fit for purpose, meet business needs and the standards students and visitors expect and teaching staff require to deliver the curriculum.
Each member of the team is required to demonstrate high levels of flexibility and co-operative working to ensure that allocated tasks are undertaken according to direction and immediate need; this includes being part of the out-of-hours emergency response service. Student, staff, and visitor safety is always paramount and the postholder is key to ensuring that all work is undertaken in a way which is compliant with Health & Safety (H&S), fire policies and procedures, and that risks and hazards on site are reported promptly.
The Grade 1 listed status of the castle building means that the main teaching and conference/event environment is not purpose-built, which bring challenges to the provision of a great teaching and learning environment and to the buildings and facilities work given that old buildings can be difficult working environments.
BISC is situated in a rural location, operating with oil fired and biomass heating systems with no mains gas on site. This brings additional challenges to the buildings and facilities team in ensuring services are consistently in operation.
The BISC is committed to employment equity, inclusion and diversity and supports fair treatment and opportunity for all. No job applicant, employee or worker is discriminated against either directly or indirectly on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Buildings & Facilities department
The Buildings & Facilities department consists of four members of staff (4 FTE):
- Buildings & Facilities Manager: (1FTE)
- Maintenance Engineer, Electrical: (1FTE)
- Maintenance Engineer, Plumbing and Heating: (1FTE)
- Buildings & Facilities Assistant (1 FTE)
Working hours: 40 hours per week
Main Purpose of the Role:
- To oversee all building & facilities works, housekeeping services and Health & Safety at the BISC including budgetary management
- Management of the Buildings & Facilities and Housekeeping Teams
- To contribute to decisions regarding premises management and development
Building maintenance, repairs, and services
- Prioritise the repairs and maintenance of buildings and facilities on site as determined by the condition survey
- Ensure that all repairs and alterations on site comply with the Grade 1 listing of Herstmonceux Castle
- Oversee the buildings & facilities and housekeeping teams to ensure all facilities are well-maintained and clean and comply with service standards and health & safety regulations, ensuring all record keeping and inspections are up to date
- Work with contractors to undertake any repairs or necessary works and to produce a work schedule in line with the BISC/HCE timetabling (academic and commercial) and ensuring all contractors are compliant with site specific arrangements and H&S regulations
- Oversee and be a first point of contact for all services to the BISC: gas, electricity, water, sewage, and drainage, working closely with the Gardens & Grounds Manager
Projects and strategic works
- Liaise with the Director of Finance & Assets (DFA) on selection of contractors for specific projects following BISC procurement policies
- Evaluate tender submissions and make recommendations
- Manage projects and strategic works as required
Waste management and pest control
- Oversee waste management for all buildings, project works, catering, and public waste bins as necessary including dangerous materials/chemicals and skip hire
Health & Safety
- Oversee and manage health and safety for the BISC/HCE and
- Ensure routine inspections are carried out and recorded and update inspection programmes to reflect any changes
- Maintain records of accident reports, investigate and effect remedial actions where necessary
- Ensure all campus risk assessments are reviewed, renewed, communicated as relevant and recorded
- Ensure that all health and safety precautions are sensitive to the aesthetic nature of the estate and the Castle historic building
- Oversee and manage the housekeeping team to provide a service to include the cleaning of all buildings and facilities, laundry, gym, Chestnuts Tearoom, the visitor centre, art gallery, ticket office and toilets across the site.
- Work with the Customer Service Assistants to ensure the buildings & facilities vehicles have current MoTs, road tax, servicing, and repairs, ensuring records are up to date.
- Control budgets for all areas of responsibility within the job description and:
- Follow BISC procedures for procuring new contracts and suppliers
Ensure robust contract management through regular performance management and review of prices, ensuring value for money is obtained
- Relevant City & Guilds, CIOB, IWFM or other construction/facilities management qualification (minimum Level 3)
- Relevant NEBOSH certificate or willingness to obtain within 3 months of appointment.
- Desirable – Relevant Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional qualification in a recognized project management, surveying or building discipline
- Desirable – Membership of CIOB, BIFM or similar.
- Leadership skills in staff and contractor management
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to communicate with people at all levels
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Project as part of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc)
- Ability to carry out risk assessments and implement safe systems of work
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings.
- Excellent organisational skills / Time management / Ability to prioritise and organise own workload / able to work to deadlines
- Financial Planning and Negotiating Skills with the ability to manage a budget
- Ability to work effectively both in collaboration with other professionals/teams as well as on own initiative
Knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety requirements
- Experience of managing staff and budgets
- Extensive knowledge of building processes and construction trades
- Experience of managing a departmental budget
- Experience of project management, including tendering and procurement, and scheduling trades
- Knowledge of current CDM Regulations.
- Desirable – Experience of working with listed buildings
- Positive, proactive approach to change and new working practices
- Professional and approachable attitude, always acting with integrity and honesty
- Self-motivated with a positive ‘can do’ approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to deal with a wide variety of people
- Ability to take responsibility and be accountable for own and team’s actions
- Business focused
- High level of attention to detail and quality control
- Calm and organised
- Able to quickly assess and deal with unexpected situations.