Maintenance ManagerBack to Vacancies List
Maxwell Stephens have been assigned by a leading school to recruit a Maintenance Manager for their ground in Cobham.
They will need to provide tactical and operational maintenance management of all mechanical, electrical, and fabric assets at the school. This role is responsible for leading the inhouse maintenance team, the primary Facilities Maintenance contractor, and all specialist and general contractors, to deliver effective planned and reactive maintenance services, along with a variety of minor works and small-to-medium Facilities projects. The Maintenance Manager will be driven and committed to delivering excellent customer focused maintenance services, meeting the current and future needs of the organisation. They will plan, co-ordinate, and deliver Facilities maintenance in accordance with the Facilities strategy, and in line with annual budgets and Service Level Agreements.
- Support the Senior Facilities Manager in the management of all building/site technical/maintenance matters, providing best technical advice at all time (including advising when external advice/expertise is required).
- Ensure that all Facilities assets and systems at all times, meet all statutory obligations.
- Work with the Senior Facilities Manager to develop maintenance strategies and to develop Forward Maintenance Registers and Lifecycle plans.
- Manage the inhouse maintenance team, ensuring that adequate, suitably trained/qualified resources are available as necessary to meet the demands of the campus.
- Work with the Senior Facilities Manager to review and update all Service Level Agreements, both with Facilities Stakeholders, and all external service providers.
- To deliver quality services in a timely fashion, and in line with all SLA’s.
- Maintain acute awareness of the conditions of all buildings/systems, informing management in a timely fashion should any potential/imminent failure likely impact the operation/comfort of stakeholders.
- Manage the CAFM system, ensuring all planned (and particularly statutory compliance) maintenance/inspections are carried out (and evidenced) in a timely fashion.
- Utilise management information from the CAFM and other systems (e.g. Energy Management) to manage performance against SLA’s, particularly in respect of statutory compliance and operational criticality.
- Ensure that all risks associated with Facilities/building assets and systems are appropriately managed and, along with the Senior Facilities Manager, that these are regularly updated and monitored within the Facilities Risk Register.
- Monitor energy consumption across the Cobham estate, highlighting and exploring potential opportunities for energy saving.
- Manage the out of hours response service to critical issues, ensuring the most effective use of internal and contract resources.
- Work closely with the Sustainability consultant, exploring all realistic opportunities for Carbon reduction.
- Maintain awareness of developments in standards and regulations relating to the management of building assets/systems. Maintain all necessary relationships with professional bodies/associations, ensuring awareness of all developments in industry/best practice.
- Support the Senior Facilities Manager in the management of the Asbestos Register, ensuring that all maintenance/works are carried out in consultation with the Asbestos.
- Build and maintain a professional relationship with all senior stakeholders, and the wider Estates and Facilities team(s).
- Ensure the facilities are maintained in a manner that complements Safeguarding and is in line with the requirements of ISI and NEASC, and work with the Senior Facilities Manager in the preparation for all inspection visits.
- Procure materials/equipment/works in accordance with the Purchasing policy, ensuring transparency of best value at all times.
- Work with other campuses to share knowledge and best practice and seek consistency of approach.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Good people management skills – able to build teams and lead them across a wide campus.
- Minimum of two years’ experience of managing teams of technicians and engineers, along with a variety of external technicians/specialists.
- Able to communicate clearly (both verbal and written), to share information effectively, and to develop team communication.
- Excellent commitment to service delivery. Prepared to accept ownership of responsibilities.
- Able to work on own initiative, and as part of a wider team.
- Enthusiastic and willing to develop and apply new skills.
- Excellent knowledge of H&S in the workplace, including the use of RA’s and MS’. A formal H&S qualification is a distinct advantage.
- Familiar with CDM in the context of building maintenance and small works.
- Experience of working with CAFM and using management information.
- Able to understand and manage priorities, and to work under pressure.
- Experience of tendering and managing outsourced works.
- Energy & sustainability management focused, with experience of working on sustainability initiatives.
- The ability to identify training needs and to assist in the training and instruction of others.
- An experienced technician/engineer, with strong knowledge of all areas of building/site maintenance (Mech/Water/Gas/Elec/Fabric/Plumbing), and a demonstrable track record in this area.
- Experience of working in an environment containing ACM’s, and of maintaining an Asbestos register.
- Appropriate trade/industry qualifications (e.g. ONC/D, IEE, CIBSE)