Interim Housing Operations Manager (6 Months Contract)Back to Vacancies List
About The University of Cambridge
Founded in 1209, The University of Cambridge has been at the forefront of academic study and research for over eight centuries. The University of Cambridge is the fourth-oldest university in the world. Among their alumni they have 110 Nobel Prize Laureates, 47 Heads of State and 190 Olympic Medallists.
Cambridge is a globally diverse institution and their students come from over 147 different countries.
Mission and Core Values
The University’s mission is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning and research at the highest international levels of excellence.
The Estates Division is responsible for the planning, development and operation of the University’s operational and investment Estates. It employs 350 people and is responsible for capital and operational budgets in excess of £200m. The Operational Estate is one of the UK’s largest and comprises some 370 teaching, academic and research buildings with a total footprint of 723,000 square metres and an insurance value in excess of £3.4bn. The Non-Operational Estates comprises more than 1000 investment, support and residential properties and the University Farm.
The Interim Housing Operations Manager is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the University’s residential estate which comprises 710 keyworker accommodation units and public realm within Phase 1 of the Eddington development in North West Cambridge, plus 300 further residential units across Cambridge.
This role is also responsible for the operation of two Special Purpose Companies related to the delivery of services to the Eddington Development:
- Portal Estate Management, which manages the delivery of maintenance and other FM services;
- Core Sustainable Heat Management, which operate the district heating infrastructure, metering and billing.
The role holder will provide accountability and leadership of the housing operations team and its external service providers to drive quality, efficiency and compliance. They will also act as a key interface with the Property Group who provide investment, property management and tenant management services for the residential portfolio.
This role reports to the Director of Estates Operations and is a member of the Estates Operations Senior Leadership team.
- Significant experience in planning, procuring and managing Facilities Management services across a large residential use estate or portfolio.
- Extensive experience of leading and managing operational teams.
- Experience in producing complex budgets and delivering and reporting on them.
- Experience in delivering high levels of statutory compliance and health & safety performance.
- Excellent communication & stakeholder relationship management skills at all levels.
- Ability to lead and work within a team, plan and manage work activities, communicate and prioritise workloads.
- Strong commercial acumen.
- Knowledge of service charges and operational cost budgeting.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
- Ability to manage complex projects under time challenging conditions.
- Contract management, administration & negotiation.
- Demonstrable analytical and report-writing skills.
- Detailed knowledge of statutory compliance, health and safety within the built environment.
- Ability to motivate and enthuse others, including at a senior level
- Ability to present complex ideas to a variety of audiences
- Self-motivated to continually develop self and others
- Qualified to Degree Level or Level 7 Business or Management qualification
- Chartered Membership of an appropriate professional body (e.g. RICS, CIBSE, IWFM, IAM, CMI)
- Recognised health & safety qualification such as IOSH, NEBOSH
This is an exciting time to join one of the world’s oldest and most successful universities globally.
The University of Cambridge is committed in its pursuit of academic excellence to equality of opportunity and to a proactive and inclusive approach to equality, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture, and values diversity so If you’re looking for a new challenge and would like excellent benefits, extensive learning opportunities and a stimulating working environment in return for your skills and contribution please apply today.
- For a confidential conversation please get in touch with our engaged consultants at Maxwell Stephens; either Peter Forshaw (email@example.com) OR Robyn Powner (firstname.lastname@example.org) Both Peter and Robyn are available on Tel: 0207 118 4848.
- To apply please send both a CV and a couple of paragraphs on why you feel you are suited to this exciting requirement to email@example.com with reference: MSCAMIHOM
- All direct and third-party applications will be forwarded to Maxwell Stephens.
- Closing Date: Friday 24th September 2021