Interim Head of Sustainability (6 month FTC)Back to Vacancies List
Our client, one of the largest housing providers in the UK, have asked us to recruit a Head of Sustainability, to act as lead officer for the company in providing strategic policy direction and leadership, operational management and long term financial planning for this strategic function.
- Develop and implement the company’s Sustainability Strategy including detailed action plans, projects and metrics for energy, water, waste, green spaces, procurement and other resource use. This post holder will provide regular reports to senior management and the Board.
- Identify, apply for and maximize external grant funding through liaison with financial sector, central government and funding bodies for energy efficiency works on their homes as well as external funding for research on resource efficiency. This work includes writing funding applications and overseeing the correct administration of grants.
- Devise an energy data improvement plan and direct collection and processing of datasets using various modelling software including APEX and CROHM and maintain a plan to improve the energy efficiency of portfolio in line with strategic objectives. This work includes managing work carried out through the company’s Energy Monitoring and Targeting Scheme.
- Oversee the overall delivery of existing funded projects such as Sustainable Houses in Inclusive Neighbourhoods (SHINE), SGN gas network improvements and the Heatright ASHP funded scheme. This work will encompass any new funded projects as they arise.
- Lead on cross-departmental initiatives that will enable the housing providers to develop approaches to future-proof its homes. This includes achieving energy standards that will contribute to meeting the Government’s Net Zero Carbon target by 2050. This work requires a good understanding of carbon emissions and carbon offset schemes as well as innovative approaches to new build, retrofits and disposals.
- Formulate and oversee the delivery of an energy retrofit programme aimed at achieving EPC band C in homes by 2030. The management of this work involves overseeing a rolling programme of energy efficiency surveys and liaising with asset management teams to coordinate on surveyor inspections and scheduled replacement programmes. A good understanding of contract management is also necessary.
- Direct and coordinate a cohesive and strategic approach to delivering the requirements of the Heat Metering Regulations (2014). This requires an understanding of the compliance requirements set out by BEIS on the scope of the properties that will require heat metering improvements. This work requires a responsibility to manage a budget for heat metering improvements, to obtain value for money and to control contracts for metering and billing as well as repairs and maintenance.
- Strong leadership will be necessary to coordinate the work of other teams which form a cross-cutting, multidisciplinary working group that can deliver the 5-year transition plan to achieve compliance.
- Ensure that the compliance requirements and targets for SHIFT Gold, ESGs and UNSDGs are met and oversee the ongoing collation of data, ensuring that this information is based on robust science-led evidence.
- Take ownership of the budget management for their income and expenditure, finding solutions to maximise income and deliver value for money.
- Lead on the development of processes to implement new legislative and regulatory requirements relating to energy, environmental and sustainability and provide advice on best practice and continuous improvements in achieving these requirements.
- In line with the aims of the Sustainability Strategy, provide strategic advice to their Procurement team on environmental best practice to ensure that the products and services are sustainably sourced in a cost effective way by the organisation.
- Manage the work of the Energy Advisory Service and ensure that it is available to all of the company’s residents. This work also includes being responsible creating opportunities to gain resident referrals from other teams.
- Identify opportunities for innovation and the potential to expand the provision of renewable energy technologies for installation in our offices and homes.
- Lead by example; empower, inspire, support and develop the team in delivering excellent customer services, value for money and embracing diversity. The post holder must be a role model and ambassador of the company’s culture and expected behaviours, acting with openness, professionalism and integrity at all times.
- Ensure that risks are reported to the Director of Asset Services as they emerge and are reviewed to agreed timescales with appropriate robust and tested mitigation plans and strategies.
- A proven track record of successfully formulating and delivering corporate sustainability strategy for a large and varied portfolio of assets.
- A relevant academic qualification (Relevant recognised degree standard qualification in a relevant environmental science), and/or membership of relevant professional bodies such as IEMA, RICS or CIOB.
- Expert knowledge of developing and delivering energy efficiency action plans, and reporting on strategic performance to the executive team.
- Adept at working in a customer focussed environment and engaging with customers and colleague; providing advice and support regarding the technicalities of energy efficiency works and financial models to deliver these works.
- Highly influential at developing a wider business consensus for addressing environmental issues, which also encompasses the expected socio-economic benefits and reputational considerations.
- Expert knowledge of relevant environmental legislation and/or codes that underpin the delivery of an efficient and effective property related housing service.
- Personal commitment to diversity, treating others with dignity and respect, with a real desire to understand and meet diverse customer needs and aspirations.
- Highly proficient at analysing and evaluating complex information and develop appropriate strategies and action plans, and to present findings clearly to a range of audiences.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities; well-developed, ambassadorial, influencing, networking, promotional and negotiating skills.
- Outstanding stakeholder influencing and managing skills and ability, internally and externally sector wide.
- Ability to work effectively in partnership with Board, committees, executives, staff, contractors, residents, customers and external stakeholders; with the ability to engage effectively at all levels.
- Ability to innovate by conceiving and/or implementing new policy, services or improvements to existing services.
- Ability to promote a highly effective and collaborative working environment, promoting self-awareness and a genuine commitment to improve services and individual personal performance.
- Full UK driving licence, access to a car and the ability to travel between sites and offices across all regions will be a requirement for this role.
We are expecting a very quick turnaround with this role so if you are interested, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us now on 0203 903 4265.