Maintenance Manager (Independent School)Back to Vacancies List
Reporting to the Senior Management you will have full responsibility for a small team of skilled and semi-skilled maintenance staff, generation and application of an annual budget circa £500K, engagement and management of specialist contractors and service providers, ensuring the schools obligations to statutory compliances are met, including health & safety legislation compliance and the generation and implementation of work place risk assessments. You will not only be a team leader but also a team player with the ability to “muck in” when needed. Leading by example and close liaison with other heads of department, senior management and staff of all levels will be essential in making this role successful. A record of accomplishment of managing refurbishment projects will be a requirement. The role also carries responsibility of the school fire officer with the requirement to hold or undertake the appropriate training achieving NEBOSH qualification.
You will be required to establish and implement both reactive and proactive maintenance schemes using both in house resources and contractual support. You will need to familiarize yourself with existing infrastructure services with emphasis on a programme of renewal and update of the schools heating systems. Knowledge of fire alarm systems and plant management systems will be an advantage.
- Ensure the school is safe, complaint of all aspects of legislation and maintained to the highest standards.
- Be a motivated team player with the ability to implement change and inspire others.
- Generation, application and cost effectiveness of annual allocated funds.
- Management of the maintenance team ensuring they are used efficiently and effectively to meet the school’s needs.
- Ensure all work is carried out to the highest standards and quality.
- Generation and implementation of proactive and reactive maintenance programmes.
- Effective management of contractors and specialist service providers.
- Undertake the role of fire officer and thus ensure the schools fire risk assessment in maintained correctly.
- Advise and liaise with the Management on maintenance matters.
- Assist the management with the oversight of refurbishments and or projects.
- Work closely with the other heads of support and academic departments.
- Ensure staff within your areas of responsibility are adequately trained and have the required skill sets to conduct their work in an appropriate manner.
- Abide by and implement the school’s policies and procedures.
- Proven managerial experience within a maintenance or support services environment.
- Working knowledge of compliance and legislation within a services sector.
- Experience of staff management and appraisal procedures.
- The generation and effective management of allocated funds.
- Worked within an educational environment.
- Experience of working within listed buildings.
- Experience of building refurbishments and or new developments.
- Experience of working with fire consultants and professionals.
Knowledge Essential Desirable