Deputy Head of FM & EstatesBack to Vacancies List
- To be responsible always for the efficient management of the university’s facilities and operations, both in-house and outsourced.
- To lead on the insourcing of multiple facilities management services as per an agreed programme.
- Ensure successful and compliant delivery of hard and soft facilities and operational services in a cost-effective manner, ensuring a proactive environment and fostering good customer relations at all levels.
- To be responsible for the day-to-day activities and guidance of team members. Set targets, implement guidelines, and assist with any issue’s colleagues may have.
- Ensure that all team members understand the department’s objectives and work together to achieve it.
- Manage, mentor and continuously improve services and staff that are in-house and part of the overall facilities management team and strategy.
- Ensure team has the required skills and tools to execute their roles.
- Develop and maintain a fit for purpose training matrix to support the continuous professional development of team members and the department.
- Ensure effective budget management as well as accurate and relevant financial reporting and administration of the budget streams.
- Develop and manage facilities and operational contracts and consultant frameworks as an integral part of the delivery team and effectively manage all contracts, consultants, contractors and suppliers ensuring that they carry out all the duties they have been contracted to provide.
- Advise on the most efficient and cost-effective ways of procuring relevant facilities and operational services whether using directly employed or contract staff, and prepare and review all relevant contract documentation, specifications, feasibility studies, budgets and other information as appropriate.
- Monitor services and management accounts on an ongoing basis to ensure full financial, health and safety and environmental compliance with service level requirements.
- Develop, maintain and manage a diverse estate that encompasses a wide variety of applications within (Academic, Halls, Student and Visitor spaces)
- Develop and execute university wide procedures to rationalise contracts and processes and to establish agreed standards across university premises, ensuring responsibilities are fully defined and service level agreements are met.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to meet legislative requirements and to ensure a safe and secure environment for all staff, students and visitors.
- Actively follow and promote the policies wherever possible.
- Maintain an awareness and observation of fire and health and safety regulations.
- Act as the responsible person for fire, water and electricity regulatory compliance.
Technical Knowledge & Skills
- Proven experience of managing a range of external contracted services including regular review of performance and contracts.
- Operational project management and strategic planning and organisational skills.
- Proven financial management of operational and project budgets.
Education & Professional Qualifications
- Relevant Professional qualification e.g. IWFM or management qualification (or demonstrable equivalent experience)
- Educational attainment at higher education level (or demonstrable equivalent experience)
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Experience & Personal Qualities
- Senior leadership experience in this field is essential
- Strong understanding of and passion for hard and soft facilities management, with the ability to spot potential opportunities
- Experience in TUPE led change processes and execution
- Strong ability to communicate complex/technical concepts and opportunities to a business and academic audience
- Demonstrable experience of managing teams and improving customer service
- Excellent ability to manage ambiguity and undertake planning whilst being decisive
- High level of engagement to develop effective working relationships at all levels across the organisation, simplifying complex messages and acting as an advocate of estates both externally and internally
- Ability to drive outstanding performance and gain commitment through coaching, motivating, energising and inspiring team members
- Successful record of engaging with estates service suppliers, negotiating and managing contracts
- Experience in developing and managing quality, financial, health and safety and environmental performance indicators for contracted out and in house soft and hard FM services
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel/Outlook/PowerPoint and databases
- Experience of managing operational FM services across a comparable diverse multi-site portfolio
- Experience in CAFM Systems (Archibus)
To be considered for this role, send your CV to email@example.com without delay.