Health and Safety Manager (Part Time – 20 hours per week)Back to Vacancies List
The post holder will act as the ‘Safety Officer’ for our client. We are therefore ideally looking for someone who can manage a busy and varied workload, collaborate well with others, work on their own initiative and who has the skills and knowledge of relevant legislation and best practice to develop and implement Health and Safety processes and policies which instill a safe and legally compliant work place.
The post holder will be required to work with/via an outsourced external Fire Safety company and with their consultant during their onsite visits. Outsourced contract management, good interpersonal skills and indirect people management skills will therefore be vital.
The available role is part-time, with flexible working hours operating normally during their office opening times of 8am – 5:30pm. A monthly rota can be agreed considering your other commitments. Some occasional out of hours/weekend working may be required to oversee emergencies.
- Support Operations with all H&S related activities risk assessments, safety policies/strategies development, COSHH, DSE, accident, incident and near-miss investigations.
- Train and empower managers to undertake and co-ordinate the completion of business contingency planning and health & safety risk assessments.
- Manage the Fire Risk Assessment and Fire Safety strategy
- Assist the Commercial Services Director/Chief Executive in developing and implementing robust Business Contingency planning activities.
- Manage the allocation of H&S tasks including training, leadership of a fire Marshall and first aider team.
- Conducting safety related training for new starters, conducting maternity risk assessments and advising staff and managers on DSE, night worker and lone worker assessments and support.
- Assist with, plan and secure delivery of H&S compliance related training activities.
- Carry out workplace inspections and audits and identify appropriate action.
- Actively encourage the reporting of hazards and preventative actions.
- Attend and assist the Director in taking the lead on safety matters at the safety committee meetings
- Liaise with the relevant enforcing authorities when necessary (i.e. HSE).
- Provide H&S support service to managers including guidance on H&S legislation and issues.
- Building rapport and engage with staff on H&S matters addressing their concerns.
- Champion continuous safety improvements and development.
- Act as the deputy safeguarding lead for our client ensuring appropriate reporting, escalation of safe guarding issues, inputting into policy development and staff and manager training roll out with the Director and Head of HR.
- NEBOSH General Certificate qualified, or equivalent
- Experience of working within a health and safety role within a similar sized organisation.
- Excellent communication skills, to ensure H&S is effectively communicated and all engage and are clear about roles and responsibilities across all levels of the business.
- Strong working knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and compliance and risk management principles.
- Computer literate. You will be required to create policy and procedure documents, file reports, and utilise online H&S tools and services.
- The ability to prioritise your own workload.
- Experience of developing and implementing policies and safety related strategy.
- Experience of implementing change and management of outsourced contracts.
- Experience of implementing and overseeing management of Business Contingency Planning activities.
- The following competencies: assertiveness, influencing, adaptability, communication, attention to detail, planning and organising, risk management, team work and collaboration.
- Although not essential, experience within an office / hotel / conference centre environment would be beneficial.
You can send your CV directly to firstname.lastname@example.org