Associate Director of Campus OperationsBack to Vacancies List
Leading FM recruitment consultancy Maxwell Stephens has been appointed by an internationally-renowned educational establishment to provide a world-class Associate Director of Campus Operations.
The Associate Director of Campus Operations will act as the executive point of contact for local stakeholders, liaising with academic, professional services, student representatives and special interest groups to ensure that the Estates and Facilities assets, services and overall experience are commensurate with the values of our client
About our client
One of the oldest educational establishments in the UK, our client operates over five campuses with a budget in excess of £700m per annum. Considered one of the “golden triangle” of research-led English educational institutions, its alumni and staff played significant roles in the discovery of DNA, in-vitro fertilisation, and the Higgs boson particle and number 12 Nobel laureates among them.
What You’ll Be Doing
Health, Safety, and Business Continuity:
- Accountable for the health and safety of all staff and third-party providers working for and on behalf of Estates and Facilities within their demise.
- Responsible for ensuring that all estates assets within their demise are fit for purpose, and do not present a risk to the safety and security of staff, students of visitors.
- Responsible for ensuring that all statutory and regulatory inspections required within their demise are carried out within the required timescales and to the required standard. All identified remedial works will be completed within the specified timescales and suitably documented upon completion.
- The Associate Director of Campus Operations will be required to ensure that all staff working for and on behalf of Estates and Facilities within their demise have undergone all mandatory training as required by the client’s Policy, and that this training is kept up to date.
- Responsible for ensuring that all health and safety incidents, including ‘near misses’, are reported in an expedient manner, and that suitable and sufficient investigations are undertaken, reported, and recommendations implemented.
- The Associate Director of Campus Operations will be a member of the university’s business continuity team, and will act in the role of Bronze control for local incidents, or as named person as part of a Silver Control Management team. As a member of the business continuity team, the Assistant Director of Campus Operations will be required to be on-call, and may from time to time be required to work out of normal hours and during weekend as the needs of the university require.
- Devise manage and deliver a medium-term strategy for estate wide customer service, that meets the needs of staff, students and visitors, whilst being aligned with:
- The Estates and Facilities directorate strategy (including other campuses)
- The university real estate strategy
- Vision 2029
- The directorates core values and the Fit for the programme
- Develop, implement and oversee an annual prioritised programme of works and services that delivers the overarching Estates and Facilities strategy/plan, the capital works program, infrastructure, campus projects, and Hard Services maintenance plans and any other stakeholder plans. This plan is to be delivered via cascaded objectives to the directly employed, functional, and third-party support services teams and reviewed monthly as part of a regular programme of 1:1 meetings.
- Responsible for providing aligned support, services, and coordination with the Venues team, and the wider commercial operations
- Act as the departmental lead for community and stakeholder engagement, taking active responsibility for customer relationship management across the estate within their demise. Accountable to the stakeholder groups for escalating and wherever practicable resolving estates issues which have a detrimental effect on the student and employee experience.
- Responsible for the development and delivery of the service procurement strategy for the estates and services within their demise, targeting service efficiency, service quality, and value for money,
- Accountable for the management and delivery of the operational budgets for the services and estates assets within their demise, including but not limited to personnel, third party delivered services, utilities, and demand-based requirements.
- Responsible for championing and delivering campus, minor works and innovation project budgets where assigned to the campus operations team for delivery.
- Responsible for managing services, estates assets, and projects within the assigned budgets, delivering savings against target wherever practicable through innovative and best practice service development and good fiscal governance practices.
Process and Performance Management:
- The Associate Director of Campus Operations will own and operate the local Estates and Facilities processes and procedures, ensuring that they are reviewed regularly, and updated and adapted in line with best industry practice and the evolving needs of the site.
- Responsible for managing and reporting on the operational performance of directly delivered and third-party services working for and on behalf of Estates and Facilities, against the directorates service standards and KPI’s.
- Responsible for managing the integration and coordination of all Estates and Facilities works across their demise, ensuring that the impact to staff and students is minimised, and the university’s operations are not adversely affected.
- Oversee the development and delivery of a comprehensive programme of governance audits to ensure that quality standards are maintained, and services are delivered in an efficient and effective manner.
- Develop and deliver effective change programmes as required to meet the changing and evolving needs of the university. This may include but not be limited to the mobilisation/demobilisation of buildings, service changes, organisational re-structures, insourcing/outsourcing of services.
- Working in collaboration with procurement, the Associate Director of Campus Operations will be responsible for the specification and procurement of services and works within their demise.
- The Associate Director of Campus Operations will be accountable for the financial management and operational delivery of contracted services within their demise. These services may vary from small scale boutique services, through to large scale multi million-pound PFI and embedded space contracts.
- People Management and Leadership
- As may be required, the Associate Director of Campus Operations may also be responsible for functional teams, formed for the oversight and governance of specific areas/projects, or for the delivery of specific objectives.
- The Associate Director of Campus Operations will be responsible for local employee engagement and act as principle interface with Unions and designated employee representatives.
- Actively promote the development of professional codes of FM practice in line with organisational needs and best industry practice.
- The Associate Director of Campus Operations will be responsible for ensuring that wherever practicable, internal and external services are delivered in a sustainable and environmentally conscious manner.
- This should be achieved through ethical sourcing, effective waste management and recycling, in addition to constant development of local environmental and sustainability policies and procedures.
- Undertake such other duties appropriate to the level and character of work as may reasonably be required within the site.
- To support and deputise for the Director of FM Management; either in his/her absence or where demands dictate.
- To implement continuous improvement and innovation to achieve improved quality, value for money, transparency, and a general uplift in the appearance and resilience of the estate.
- Degree/Post Grad in relevant field or equivalent experience
- Must have demonstrable knowledge of H&S legislation with IOSH/NEBOSH
- Strategic and Innovative thinker
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Highly numerate and confident in the principles of budgetary management accounting
- Highly IT literate
- Experience of managing a large portfolio
- Extensive senior FM management experience
- Ability to deliver a high level of customer satisfaction
- Contractor/Vendor commercial and performance management
- Managing and operating to KPI’s and SLA’s
- Devising, managing and letting FM contracts
- Experience in customer focused environments
- Experience of major refurbishment and infrastructure projects
Maxwell Stephens is expecting a large volume of applications for this role. We’re keen to place the correct person with our client as soon as possible. Therefore, we encourage all interested FM professionals with the experience to successful expedite this role to contact us without delay.
Please call 0207 118 48 48 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.