Team Leader – (EM&I) Service Delivery (Asset Management)Back to Vacancies List
We are pleased to be working with University College London to identify a high performing Team Leader to join their team. With a direct reporting line to the Head of Engineering you will be responsible for the management of a team of multi-disciplined Surveyors and support staff.
Impressive on many levels as a world class Institution, the scale, variety and complexity of the UCL estate is unparalleled in the sector. The estate comprises over 200 buildings valued at over £2bn, with more than four million square feet of academic accommodation and almost 4000 student bedrooms. UCL Estates are responsible for managing the delivery of an Estate Strategy with an investment programme in excess of £1bn over the next ten years.
About the Role
Reporting to the Head of Engineering you will;
- Manage, direct and advise a multi-disciplined team of Engineers and or Surveyors providing services primarily, but not exclusively, to UCL Property portfolio, Schools, departments or geographic zones as appropriate.
- Have direct responsibility for management of Building Fabric maintenance and operating budget c £2m, with planning of SMP budget of c £15m
- Lead responsibility for the preparation, prioritisation, co-ordination and delivery of assigned projects and programmes, including – Planned works, Strategic Maintenance, one-off projects and business improvement work-streams, in line with industry best practice.
- Liaise and work collaboratively with Project Teams, the Environmental Sustainability team and others to provide technical advice/support and the development/application of design briefs, technical standards etc.
Technically competent, ideally with a background in Building Surveying you will be analytical by nature and have a tenacious approach to problem solving. You will be a strong communicator and confident in your dealings with others, regardless of hierarchy. You will demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable in producing written reports and management information. You’ll be positive by nature with a ‘can do’ approach to achieve personal and team results. Keen to keep abreast of changes within the industry you will be pro-active in maintaining your professional status through continuing self-development.
- Relevant professional qualification (ideally to Degree level) i.e. Building Surveying
- Membership of relevant professional body
Skills & Experience
- Extensive practical experience and relevant technical knowledge including the management of maintenance operations using contractors and directly employed staff
- Thorough knowledge and experience of managing maintenance operations across a large multi-site organisation
- Adept at organisational planning, problem solving and negotiation
- Strong people management and team leadership
- Expertise and understanding of building systems legislation and service requirements across a diverse portfolio
- Ability to draft specifications, drawings, plans and service standards
- Significant experience of service procurement and management
- Project management and contract procurement/management
- Change management
To be considered for the role you must be able to fulfil all aspects of the requirements outlined. Surveys, inspections and fault finding are carried out throughout buildings including in plant rooms, service ducts/shafts, roofs, laboratories etc. where access may be awkward and where conditions may be hot and noisy; an awareness of hazardous situations is essential, for example, fragile roofs, asbestos, exposed machinery, steam plant, live electrical equipment etc. Managing maintenance work requires compliance with site health and safety rules which include wearing personal protective equipment and could involve climbing ladders, scaffolding etc.
For further interest and confidential discussion on this exciting opportunity, please contact Stacey Amos at Maxwell Stephens.