Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Manager (6 month contract)Back to Vacancies List
Maxwell Stephens are pleased to present a new opening within a world leading entertainment company offering world-class digital and physical media services. The company’s network consists of service offices, optical media production, distribution and digital facilities worldwide.
This role is to require to manage, develop and administer the company’s OHSE (Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental) Management Systems. This includes the development, definition and monitoring of programmes to ensure achievement of set environmental targets according to business plan and midrange plan, whilst ensuring legal, ISO14001. This is a central role supporting all departments in training, procedural documentation administration and auditing. External visits and audits of our contractors as part of our waste management program is required.
The successful candidate must be personable, friendly, professional, and good at multitasking. Under the instruction of the Senior Management the role provides help in order to ensure the smooth operational running of the business, and to ensure a quality service is provided to all departments.
Key Tasks and Objectives
- Be fully aware of the OHSE team’s objectives to effectively assist departments achieve their goals.
- Managing and maintaining compliance for all legal requirements as well as ISO14001.
- You will be responsible for providing day to day professional leadership to all levels of staff, supporting and advising all management teams, employees and contractors. You will improve performance through the implementation of Health, Safety and Environmental management systems and procedures in line with current standards and legislation
- To audit existing polices, processes and procedures and make recommendations for improvement.
- To implement and review working practices for controlling workplace hazards.
- To assist Management with the preparation of OHSE plans, targets, budgets based on corporate and legal directives.
- To manage all internal and external audits for OHSE and ensure training is provided when required.
- To undertake and manage risk assessment process, providing leadership and supporting the development of specific training needs.
- Assist with task design/ and preparation of Safe Operating Procedures and follow all safety procedures advised.
- To identify employee OHSE training needs and ensure the training is delivered.
- To monitor accidents and identify trends, use accidents, incidents and near misses to bring about continuous improvement across the business.
- To submit RIDDOR reports to the Health and Safety Executive ensuring accuracy and adequate supporting documentation, to reduce risk and meet the needs of insurers in relation to any claims
- To chair all OHSE meetings with department representatives and follow up any actions raised.
- Develop positive attitudes towards OHSE through effective communication.
- Engaging internally and with other companies to share best practice and ideas, constantly assessing opportunities for improvement and innovation
- To ensure that all Health & Safety, Fire, Environmental and Security measures are maintained in accordance with legislation & company procedures
- Lead by example to other permanent and temporary staff, showing that Health and Safety of the staff are important.
- Other additional duties as required by management.
- Responsibilities are not limited to the above description and may be modified at any time by the Company
Essential Skills and Experience
- A strong technical knowledge across relevant health and safety and environmental legislation, compliance and regulations
- Proven, hands-on track record of the implementation and maintenance of an environmental management system (preferably accredited to ISO 14001) within a complex organisation.
- Experience in dealing with environmental authorities (e.g. Environment Agency) consultants and contractors and representing the company at external events.
- Good interpersonal and presenting skills
- Degree or diploma (or equivalent) in health and safety and environment discipline and relevant qualification in NEBOSH General or IOSH and Diploma with some form of Environmental qualification (IEMA, IRCE and CIWM).
- Ability to multi-task effectively and manage ever changing priorities
- Ability to work and remain calm and focused under pressure
- Flexibility, adaptability and change responsiveness are essential attributes
- Excellent interpersonal skills including written and spoken communication abilities
- A smart and professional appearance with a polite, courteous and professional manner
- The drive to work pro-actively independently and as part of a team
- Communication style that allows positive and open dialogue with clients and employees
- Working style that encourages team-work both within the role and across business functions
- Collaborative working spirit that enhances and builds effective working relationships both internally and externally.
- Well organised with excellent attention to detail/accuracy/prioritisation
- A ‘can do’ attitude using own initiative, innovative and self-motivated
- Accurate, diligent, self-motivated, focussed and reliable.
- The ability to work un-supervised
- An appreciation of clear and exact communication of detail
- An ability to anticipate expectations and resolve issues
Desired Skills and Experience
- Past experience of working within a fast-paced Distribution environment with the ability to develop the culture and competence of the organisation to meet the business needs.
- The successful candidate would ideally have in depth experience of Environmental Management and Health & Safety experience
If you’re looking for your next challenge and the opportunity to make the most of your skills, please apply now.
Maxwell Stephens are expecting a high-volume response for this role, so please apply early to avoid disappointment