Building Services EngineerBack to Vacancies List
- To monitor all hard service contract delivery, namely; Repairs and maintenance PPM and reactive, Heating and air conditioning, Hot and cold water services, drainage and plumbing, Power, Security equipment and alarm systems, Building fabric, Lifts, and Fire detection and protection, BMS and building services equipment controls) provided to all buildings on a day to day basis and to rectify service deficiencies in liaison with contractors/FM Service provider.
- To provide technical advice and assistance to the Technical Services Manager in connection with engineering and services installations and equipment. Advise the Technical Services Manager of the requirement to alter any maintenance procedure or specification in the light of operating experience where there may be further opportunities for combining the delivery of services and savings as appropriate.
- To be responsible for dealing with day to day operational issues that arise for hard services.
- Arranging access and issuing permits for contractors and liaising with colleagues and building users as necessary to ensure minimal disruption to day to day activities.
- To monitor the performance of all contractors according to their agreed SLAs and KPIs and assist in monitoring issues, risks and contract performance, principally through Maximo.
- To establish and maintain administration systems to support operation of the contract, including variations, additional works, performance monitoring and complaints log.
- To establish and maintain regular contact with users of services, to monitor satisfaction levels, operational issues and communicate these to contractors.
- To monitor and control the functioning of all designated Building Engineering Services plant to ensure the effective and efficient use of plant and energy.
- Assist with the diagnosis and analysis of faults and problems where assistance is required.
- To keep abreast of technical developments particularly with new technology in building engineering services and building management and in all aspects of the mechanical and electrical disciplines and contribute to PF&M engineering policies.
- To keep abreast of developments and regulations and statutory compliance in respect of building services engineering plant, operations and maintenance.
- Assist P&FM Department colleagues with developing the client’s Life Cycle Plans, Scrutinising Condition Surveys, Forecasting Plant Replacement and Maintenance Costs to deliver both the right level of Quality and Value for Money.
- Assist with the development and maintain M&E maintenance standards to ensure consistency of design and installations across the estate.
- Attend appropriate contract review meetings and take notes/minutes.
- To proactively develop relationships with new and existing clients and their internal departments.
- In liaison with contractors and maintenance staff, report any issues relating to the fabric and furnishings of the Academic Buildings.
- To ensure that all hard services and FM service activities are coordinated (e.g. weekly meetings).
- Coordinate weekly/monthly monitoring meetings with contractors.
- To monitor, approve and raise purchase/work orders for additional and out of scope requests for hard services and fabric maintenance.
- Raise issues where they are potential overspend and advise on budgets and spends.
- To input, as appropriate, in the use and management of purchasing information and systems.
- To assist in the organisation of health and safety issues and procedures for all buildings and ensure FM contractors are aware and adhering to the client’s procedures and complying with the law.
- Provide on a monthly basis contract reporting and monitoring information to the Technical Services Manager on areas outlined in Point 1.
- To work alongside all FM colleagues and to ensure continuous improvement in contracts whilst developing SLAs in order to support on-going monitoring of long term contracts.
- Prepared to participate in continuous learning in order to support self development.
- To undertake any other duties commensurate with the position as designated by the Technical Services Manager/Head of Estates.
- To actively follow and promote the client’s policies.
- To maintain an awareness and observation of fire and health and safety regulations.
- Any other duties consistent with both the grade and scope of the post
- Any other duties reasonably required of the post holder by the reporting manager.
EXPERIENCE & PERSONAL QUALITIES
- Conversant with recent developments in engineering.
- Conversant with recent updates in legislation relates to the built environment.
- Experience of project/supply chain procurement and management.
- Experience of analysing performance management through CAFM systems (Maximo world be an advantage but bit essential).
- Experience in developing maintenance plans (SFG 20 would be an advantage but not essential).
- Experience of building and maintaining effective working relationships, with the ability to communicate clearly, confidently with people at all levels both orally and in writing, including the ability to communicate technical issues to non-technical audiences.
- Able to work under own initiative.
- Project management and contract management in a technical building service environment.
- Knowledge and experience of managing engineering and maintenance operations across a large multi-site portfolio.
- Experience of construction contracts, contract management and procurement practices relating to project and services delivery.
- Experience of working in the higher education sector.
- Experience of working on Listed Buildings and within Conservation Areas.
- Understanding environmental, sustainability and energy conservation applications and processes.
- Experience of working on the client side of an organisation.
- Ability to manage risk and understand and articulate impacts.
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- The post holder must have first-hand practical experience of the organisation and maintenance operation of building services plant. In addition the post holder must have theoretical electrical of mechanical knowledge to ONC/BTEC level or equivalent with considerable knowledge and experience of the other discipline.
- Should have a thorough knowledge of statutory regulations relating to Building Services Engineering and the built environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively manage time and meet deadlines whilst under pressure.
- Generic ICT literacy (e.g. Word, Outlook, use of databases)
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint, particularly for assisting in the production of reports.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Engineering qualifications ONC, BTEC or equivalent in a building services discipline.
- Apprenticeship in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related Building Services discipline.
To apply, send your CV to email@example.com or click ‘apply now’ below.