National Facilities & HSE ManagerBack to Vacancies List
Maxwell Stephens have been assigned by a large organisation who specialise in student accommodation, to recruit for a Facilities and HSE Manager to join their team.
- To implement a framework for and provide leadership on the maintenance of building infrastructure including structure, building envelope, internal fabric and mechanical & electrical services across our schemes nationally
- Determine maintenance policy, strategy and objectives linked to organisational objectives and whole life considerations
- Implementing maintenance policy through establishing maintenance plans – to ensure agreed availability at a minimum resource cost
- Providing advice and recommendations on issues relating to the management of maintenance policy
- Develop and implement systems that will measure the performance of the maintenance organisation
- Interpret results from performance measurement of the maintenance organisation and provide reasoned advice and recommendations
- Co-ordinate, record and audit the delivery of all Planned and Preventative (PPM) and statutory maintenance across the schemes
- Work alongside local managers and staff to ensure a responsive, high quality reactive maintenance is delivered across the scheme.
- Oversee both in-house and outsourced technical and maintenance functions, always ensuring the highest quality of service
- Provide advice, support, monitoring and instruction for local facilities staff in the schemes in their discharge of facilities-related activities including, but not limited to, fire alarm testing, fire door inspections, operation of M&E systems (CCTV, BMS, access control etc), and liaison with contractors
- To act as the point of contact for locally delivered FM activities including action of recommendations arising from fire risk assessments, water hygiene risk assessments, health & safety audits and other external inspections.
- Ensure that all necessary staff are sufficiently trained and familiar with building infrastructure and hard services at the level required to discharge their duties.
- Ensure local arrangements and critical spares are in place to deal with unplanned interruptions to essential building services.
- Provide regular reports to senior management related to the status of the schemes, any associated risks and recommendations for lifecycle planning and capital expenditure.
- Preparing cost reports or monitoring maintenance/capital and operating budgets, on works progress, showing any deviation from expected progress or expenditure
- Creation and implementation of lifecycle plans alongside relevant colleagues
- Determine and implement the type of maintenance regime and organisation that is required, including CAFM /BIM requirements
- Constantly explore opportunities to drive cost efficiencies via in sourcing v’s outsourced solutions to deliver best in class services in the most efficient and effective manner possible
- Determine appropriate contract strategies
- Identify opportunities for service level improvements and cost savings
- Manage the tender process
- Initiate contracted service provision effectively
- Manage contracts and resolve disputes
Health & Safety and Compliance
- Lead and monitor health, safety & compliance activities across the organisation in accordance with all relevant legislation
- Liaise with and provide guidance for local scheme staff and other relevant colleagues on H&S matters including the impact of design on operations, current legislation and embedding a positive health and safety culture.
- Implement local procedures for the management of significant risks including those related to fire, asbestos, water hygiene
- Ensure the Accident, Incident and Near Miss Reporting Procedure is followed locally and lead on the initial, first-stage investigation of incidents as required
- Coordinate the organisation and evaluation of fire evacuation drills and testing of emergency procedures
- Carry out regular inspections and H&S audits across the schemes and ensure findings are actioned accordingly
- Drive the continuous improvement of H&S management systems and compliance standards across the schemes
- Review and maintain up-to-date Standard Operating Procedures relative to facilities management activities at scheme level, using standardised templates
- Proactively review competency levels and training requirements of scheme management teams
- Increase H&S awareness and promote a positive H&S culture throughout the local teams including the delivery of toolbox talks
- Liaise with regulatory authorities as required including HSE, local authorities, Environment Agency and Fire and Rescue Services
Project management and development
- Support and assist in the delivery of project works throughout the schemes including refurbishments, major works, building improvements and CapEx
- Provide input on data collection exercises feeding into project specification including local finishes and condition of building elements
- Advising on the need for statutory and other consents and approvals
- Completing of Design Risk Assessments of the proposed designs, to satisfy the requirements of the regulations, in connection with the future maintenance of the building
- Review O&M and handover documentation related to the above ensuring that day-to-day estate operations are adapted as required
- Lead on all facilities management areas during onboarding/ mobilisation of new schemes
- Assist on any ad-hoc tasks as required by the supervisor.
- Extensive experience in a similar role within a relevant industry/ setting
- A strong focus on customer experience and service delivery
- Qualified to MIWFM level or above is preferable
- Experienced in the management of 3rd party service contracts and contractors
- Excellent technical knowledge of maintenance and facility operations
- In in depth and thorough knowledge of H&S within both residential and commercial settings
- NEBOSH and/ or IOSH qualified essential
- Willingness and ability to work in a matrix structure
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- Commercial awareness & Ability to problem solve
- Supervisory experience and reporting skills
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite