Head of Asset ManagementBack to Vacancies List
Founded in 1209, The University of Cambridge has been at the forefront of academic study and research for over eight centuries. The University of Cambridge is the fourth-oldest university in the world. Among their alumni they have 110 Nobel Prize Laureates, 47 Heads of State and 190 Olympic Medallists. Cambridge is a globally diverse institution and their students come from over 147 different countries.
Mission and Core Values
The University’s mission is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning and research at the highest international levels of excellence.
The Estates Division is responsible for the planning, development and operation of the University’s operational and investment Estates. It employs 350 people and is responsible for capital and operational budgets in excess of £200m. The Operational Estate is one of the UK’s largest and comprises some 370 teaching, academic and research buildings with a total footprint of 723,000 square metres and an insurance value in excess of £3.4bn. The Non-Operational Estates comprises more than 1000 investment properties, including the new North West Cambridge (Eddington) keyworker housing development.
The Head of Asset Management will provide strategic leadership and oversight to ensure maintenance investment in all physical assets across the University Estate is aligned to University strategic aims and masterplan, ensuring optimum effectiveness and efficiency of resources deployed to identify and maintain value. The role be accountable for annual maintenance and asset replacement budgets in excess of £30m and a large and diverse asset management team comprising more than 80 technical, administrative and managerial staff. The remit includes buildings and grounds maintenance, asset strategy, statutory compliance, building surveying, contracts management, operational readiness, and engineering excellence, along with relationship management of key external service providers.
This is a key leadership role within the Estates Operations function with significant impact across the University Estate. The role holder will provide strategic oversight, accountability and leadership of the asset management functions to drive asset performance, fitness for purpose and compliance. They will also act as a key interface with the Estates Development, Programme Delivery, Property Management and Sustainability functions.
This role reports to the Director of Estates Operations and is a member of the Estates Operations Senior Leadership team.
- Significant and demonstrable senior leadership experience in Asset Management with large and complex estates.
- Significant experience in planning and managing built asset maintenance activities.
- Development and implementation of Asset Management policy, processes and systems.
- Experience in managing and controlling budgets, resources and funding.
- Extensive experience of leading and managing teams.
- Experience of developing and implementing KPIs and SLAs for asset management activities.
- Experience in whole life costing.
- Experience of working in the higher education sector.
- Experience in implementation of ISO 55001.
- Excellent communication & stakeholder relationship management skills at all levels.
- Ability to lead and work within a team, plan and manage work activities, communicate and prioritise workloads.
- Strong commercial acumen.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
- Ability to manage complex projects under time challenging conditions.
- Budgeting, reporting and analysis of financial data.
- Contract management, administration & negotiation.
- Demonstrable analytical and report-writing skills.
- Effective decision making & problem resolution skills.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of statutory compliance, health and safety within the built environment.
- Ability to motivate and enthuse others, including at a senior level
- Ability to present complex ideas to a variety of audiences
- Self motivated to continually develop self and others
- Highly proficient in MS Office suite.
- Experience in CAFM systems.
- Qualified to Degree Level or Level 7 Business or Management qualification
- Chartered Membership of an appropriate professional body (e.g. RICS, CIBSE, IWFM, IAM, CMI)
- Recognised health & safety qualification such as IOSH, NEBOSH
- IAM Advanced Diploma in Asset Management.
This is an exciting time to join one of the world’s oldest and most successful universities globally.
The University of Cambridge is committed in its pursuit of academic excellence to equality of opportunity and to a proactive and inclusive approach to equality, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture, and values diversity so If you’re looking for a new challenge and would like excellent benefits, extensive learning opportunities and a stimulating working environment in return for your skills and contribution please apply today.
- For a confidential conversation please get in touch with our engaged consultants at Maxwell Stephens; either Peter Forshaw (email@example.com) OR Robyn Powner (firstname.lastname@example.org) Both Peter and Robyn are available on Tel: 0207 118 4848.
- To apply please send both a CV and a couple of paragraphs on why you feel you are suited to this exciting requirement to email@example.com with reference: MSCAMHOAM
- All direct and third-party applications will be forwarded to Maxwell Stephens.