Interim Estate ManagerBack to Vacancies List
Maxwell Stephens have been asked to recruit an Interim Estate Manager who can be available for an immediate start to oversee the management of estates team and the maintenance of the school estate, as well as ensuring the efficient and effective running of the school buildings, grounds and resources.
- In-house estates team and line management of this function
- Contracts for building services and estates management
Responsibilities – Estate, Buildings & Facilities:
- Oversee the management of caretaking and maintenance of the School’s buildings and grounds.
- Oversee all maintenance requests and ensure they are responded to in a timely manner and with the correct resource.
- Day to day responsibility to ensure; the maintenance of the School’s sites and buildings; the School complies with all relevant statutory requirements; the preparation of maintenance schedules and the efficient operation of all facilities within the school estate.
- To manage the security of the School and to be a key holder.
- To ensure effective after-hours contact arrangements are in place for the alarm security company to liaise with, and to participate in these arrangements.
- Ensure compliance with all site related health and safety requirements including clear communication to all staff and pupils as well as recording and reporting health and safety matters to the Director of Operations and Compliance.
- Oversee the management of contractors onsite, ensuring:
RAMS are provided, checking these and authorising for work to proceed
Permits to work are issued as required
Safeguarding policy and procedures are adhered to
- Ensure the effective maintenance, repair and safe keeping of all resources, including regular audits.
- Develop and keep up to date registers of the premises and assets.
- Support the Director of Operations and Compliance with planning and preparing capital building projects.
- Carry out termly inspections of the buildings and grounds, report findings & recommendations to the Director of Operations and Compliance.
Responsibilities – Health and Safety:
- Ensure the School complies with all statutory and legal requirements for schools in relation to buildings, premises and site and establish and maintain safe working practices.
- Play an active role in fire evacuation duties, co-ordinating the Estate Team’s actions when an evacuation is underway and ensure the Director of Operations and Compliance is informed of the reason for the alarm activation at the earliest opportunity.
- Ensure all estate team are trained in the use of the alarm system and that practice is reviewed.
- Responsible for the maintenance of fire equipment, ensuring regular weekly and monthly fire checks are carried out, reporting any issues that arise.
- Responsible for the maintenance of fire evacuation chairs, ensure adequate staff are trained to operate these safely.
- Day-to-day responsibility for all site related health and safety matters, including maintaining and developing systems, policies, procedures and working practices.
- Work with the Operations and Compliance Manager when site health and safety matters impact on operational matters and ensure a co-ordinated response.
- Ensure risk assessments are undertaken and reviewed as required.
- Ensure the Asbestos Management Plan is kept up to date.
Responsibilities – Line Management:
- Responsible for the line management and overseeing the work of the estates team and provide cover for these roles.
- Line management will include; the day to day supervision of the work, ensuring responsibilities are delivered as required; and performance management.
- Ensure appropriate training and development is identified and provided to staff.
Responsibilities – General:
- Ensure financial procedures are followed for all procurement relating to estates management.
- Ensure the smooth running of all School events, co-ordinating operational needs with the Operations and Compliance Manager.
- Maintain and update as required the procedures relating to this post.
- Attend meetings as required
- Participate in professional development opportunities, willingness to develop additional skills and expertise.
- Keep up-to-date with current educational developments and legislation affecting school facilities management within your area of responsibility.
- To respect the confidential nature of information relating to the school, pupils and customers.
- Be aware of and support difference and ensure equal opportunities for all.
- Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the School.
- Develop constructive relationships and communicate with other agencies/professionals.
- Be aware of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and to report any concerns in accordance with the school’s safeguarding policy.
- To comply with the school’s Health and Safety policy and statutory requirements.
- To undertake any other duties not detailed above commensurate with the level of the post.
Qualifications and Experience
- Must be able to consistently demonstrate they are numerate and literate,
- Minimum GCSE Maths & English Grades A*-C or equivalent.
- Experience as a lead caretaker
- Good working knowledge of management and maintenance of buildings, mechanical, electrical and other infrastructure systems.
- Computer literate including experience of using Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge and experience of health and safety, fire safety, risk management regulations and requirements.
- Up to date knowledge of statutory regulations and guidance relating to this post.
- Recent experience of working in a estate management role as a proven effective manager.
- Experience managing contractors and working with outsourced providers.
- Experience of line management.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage a team – identifying solutions to problems and dealing with issues as they arise
- Ability to interpret and follow policies and procedures.
- Strong listener and able to communicate in a clear and concise manner both on the telephone and face to face, who can effectively convey information at an appropriate level.
- Ability to complete work to the required standards and to agreed deadlines.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of people.
- Excellent organisational, communicating and problem solving skills, with the ability to use own initiative and work proactively both in a team and independently.
- Demonstrates a flexible approach to work to enable effective delivery of service.
- Proactive, flexible and adaptable.
- Punctual and conscientious.
- Prepared to challenge non-compliance.
- Discretion, tact and confidentiality at all times.
- Good time management and the ability to prioritise workload.
- Able to work under pressure and to deadlines, and deliver excellent attention and produce accurate results.
- Evidence of successful team working.
- Emotional Resilience.
- Can Do attitude.
- Deep understanding and commitment to the safeguarding of children.
- Commitment to the school ethos and aims.
- Commitment to equal opportunities.
- Accurate and fluent spoken English.