Technical Services Manager – Ref 791Back to Vacancies List
Our client are a prestigious education establishment, steeped in history and based in a stunning location in West London.
Maintaining the highest quality environment and facilities for students and staff alike the Technical Services Manager will manage and organise planned and reactive maintenance repair programmes across all premises.
In this role you will benefit from a direct reporting line to the head of the school in addition to daily responsibility for the management of the reactive repair and planned maintenance programmes you will also assist with budget preparation and control. You will have experience in a building trade e.g. electrical / mechanical engineer, plumbing / drainage, construction, painting and decorating etc in order to take a hands on role where required. You’ll have good organisational and people management skills and be able to motivate a team to deliver to the highest standards. Commercially minded, with experience of negotiating contracts you will be motivated to continuously review current practices to decide whether best value is achieved in-house or through external contractors.
Our client are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- Manage staff in the engineering department, monitoring their work, setting targets and carrying out regular appraisals and liaise with the School’s central HR team on personnel, recruitment, training and welfare matters
- Devise the annual planned maintenance programme and schedule of works
- Maintain and monitor the Planned Maintenance Condition Survey prepared by the School’s external consultants
- Prepare works specifications and tender / quotation documentation as required for works
- Prepare and regularly review a list of approved contractors for specialist, responsive or emergency maintenance and repair works
- Manage and administer annual repair & maintenance contracts e.g. lifts, electrical testing, mechanical and electrical equipment, water supply testing etc
- Arrange for emergency cover / callout arrangements during term time
- Ensure that the grounds and or surrounds of all properties are maintained in a tidy and good condition ensuring that the lawns, borders, hedges etc are regularly tended.
- Liaise with the Support Services Manager over scheduling of works, access and contractor attendance issues
- Ensure that all contractors are engaged and managed on site in full compliance with the School’s Child Protection policies
- To be a member of the Health & Safety Committee and ensure that all aspects of the Works team’s activities comply with the School’s H&S Policy
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required and that fall within the scope and range of the job.
To be considered for this role you must be able to clearly demonstrate the following:
- Qualification in a building trade or in electrical / mechanical services or significant experience in a building management or site supervision role.
- Strong communication and customer service skills
- Excellent team leadership skills
- Experience of negotiating works contracts and tendering work
- Budget preparation and management skills
In addition, the preferred candidate will also offer:
- Competency in IT skills with the ability to use Microsoft Office products including the creation and understanding of spreadsheets
- Experience of working in an education environment or with young people
- Experience of historic and listed buildings