Health and Safety Adviser – 12 month FTC – Ref 808Back to Vacancies List
About the Job
Reporting directly to the Head of the Department your role is to keep our clients staff safe. You’ll make sure that they keep up to date with legislation – and their policies reflect it. You’ll make sure their people stick to their policies and practices. You’ll help encourage a positive health and safety culture by explaining to colleagues what health and safety actually means for them. Our client have over 3,000 people working for them – so you’ll have your work cut out.
To deliver the above our client expect you to be able to demonstrate skills and experience including:
- IOSH qualification (or preferably NEBOSH too) – with the skill to undertake and advise on complex risk assessments, accidents, incident investigations and audits, ideally, having good knowledge and understanding of health and safety law
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to engage others at all levels when explaining health and safety to others and getting them involved in discussions about what needs to be done.
- Experience in coaching skills – understanding health and safety isn’t easy for some people so you’ll have the skills and patience to be able to develop and deliver training courses and safety campaigns.
- Producing health and safety guidance leaflets and generally increasing people’s awareness of health and safety issues.
- Delivering on promises, doing what you say you will. Being someone who when they say “I’ll investigate this on Monday”, makes sure they really do deliver on Monday.
- Remaining well organised at all times with the ability to juggle a number of tasks at the same time.
- Practical approach to work with back-up plans in place if things go wrong first time.
- Able to work well under pressure when there’s a lot on
- Maintain confidence in your ability and staying resilient when challenged
- Coaching rather than telling people what to do, caring about achieving results.
Key competencies relevant to this role are:
- Customer focus and quality
- Planning and organising
- Professional expertise
- Problem solving and decision making
- Results focus
- Impact and influence